Ronnie Malley is a multi-instrumentalist musician, theatrical performer, producer, and educator. With a background in Global Music and Performance Studies, Ronnie has collaborated with artists internationally and has composed and consulted for many cultural music projects in film and theater.
His recent credits include author and composer of the original play Ziryab, The Songbird of Andalusia (Silk Road Rising World Premiere), musician in The Secret Garden (Court Theatre), musician and consultant on Disney’s The Jungle Book (Goodman Theater, Huntington Theater), associate producer, composer, and actor in The Sultan's Dilemma (International Voices Project), co-composer on The White Snake (Wuzhen Theater Festival, Old Globe, Guthrie, Goodman, McCarter, Berkeley Theatre, Oregon Shakespeare Festival), author and composer of the story The Oud, Ziryab, and Andalusia: An Enchanting Tale of Music (Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Chicago Cultural Center), actor and principal musician in Arabian Nights (Lookingglass, Berkeley, Arena Stage Theatre) and film composition for At the Gate, Modou: The Hang Player, and Jon and Davy. Through his company, Intercultural Music Production, Ronnie has also produced the albums Auraad Fathiya, Saazuk Safar, Tsikago, Gypsy Surf, and has appeared as a guest artist on several musical works.
He conducts Arabic language artist residencies for Chicago Public Schools through Intercultural Music Production and is a teaching artist for music and theater with Global Voices Initiative. He is also a faculty member at the Old Town School of Folk Music and Chicago Academy for the Arts, as well as a veteran artist with Chicago Arts Partnership in Education. Ronnie performs with the music groups Allos Musica, Duzan Ensemble, Lamajamal, and Surabhi.
•Motion Jingle for Massive Online Open Course by French NGO Colibris
• Auraad Fathieh Spiritual Music from Kashmir)
• Lamajamal albums Gypsy Surf, Tsikago, Saazuk Safar
• Film scores for At The Gate (documentary about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict), Modou: The Hang Player (documentary about a Sufi musician and the Hang instrument)
• Writer and performer for Ziryab: The Songbird of Andalusia
• Sound Design for Ayed Akhtar's The Who and The What (Victory Gardens Theater)
• Musician in The Secret Garden (Court Theatre)
• Musician and Co-Composer for Mary Zimmerman's The White Snake
• Musician and Consultant on The Jungle Book
• Producer, Musician, and Actor for an adaptation of Egyptian playwright Tawfiq Al Hakim's, The Sultan's Dilemma
• Principal Musician and Actor in Mary Zimmerman's Arabian Nights
• Teaching Artist/Coordinator for Middle East and North Africa with Global Voices Initative
• Arabic Artist Resident at several Chicago Public Schools
• Veteran teaching artist with Chicago Partnership in Education
• Faculty member at the Old Town School of Folk Music and The Chicago Academy for the Arts
• Fluency in English, Arabic, and French